Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Best Banana Bread Ever!

I know it has been way too long since I posted last. It had to be something really good which I finally found. This is the best banana bread I have ever made. Really moist and dense and very tasty!

I cannot take credit for this recipe. I found it on AllRecipes.com which is one of my favorite sites. In my typical fashion, I did make a few adjustments so I have included the recipe as I made it below.

1 cup all-purpose flour (unbleached)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
2 eggs, beaten
3 large overripe bananas, mashed but leave some lumps

Optional:
3/4 cup chopped pecans, plus more for topping
Crispy and sweet topping:
1 tablespoon water
3 tablespoon brown sugar, packed

1. Preheat over to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar. Stir in eggs and mashed bananas until well blended. Stir banana mixture into the flour mixture and add the nuts if desired; stir until just moistened. (Note: Stirring too much will cause the bread to be dry.) Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle extra nuts on top if desired. (Depending on your oven, you may want to cover the top of the pan loosely with tin foil to prevent the nuts from burning. If so, remove the tin foil for the last 10 minutes or so to allow the top to brown nicely.)
3. Bake in preheated oven for 60-65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Let bread cool in pan for 5 minutes. Now is a good time to mix the water and brown sugar for the crispy topping and brush over the top of the bread. Allow to cool for an additional 5 minutes, or 10 minutes total. Turn out onto a wire rack to continue cooling.

Serve warm or cool. This is even great toasted with a little butter or honey butter for a yummy mid-morning snack!

No comments: